Friday, October 23, 2009

A New York evening of music and laughter with The Clientele's Alasdair MacLean

I remember a friend of mine once telling me that her friend Stephin Merritt was being flown from New York to London solely to 'do press'. This seemed impossibly glamorous to me, I mean they fly you to a different country and put you in a hotel just so you can talk to people… about YOURSELF! You must have some weighty pronouncements to make to the world if that’s how you’re being treated, better greet the journalists with a faintly melancholy smile (oh, the loneliness of genius, the weight of one's towering intellect) and an honest, if distracted, handshake.

Anyway every dog has its day, and they’re flying me over to New York this week to 'do press'. And a bit of radio, and a seated show at Joe's Pub where I hope to have a pleasant stroll down memory lane / through the Clientele’s back catalogue. So this is the bit where I plug the show. It's on October 29th. The press, containing my views on all the important matters of our times, will be forthcoming.

6 comments:

John said...

Exciting! Any idea which radio stations and when we might tune in? The stripped-down sessions I've acquired from previous shows are some of my favorite Clientele material.

hex conduction hour said...

I stumbled upon your show today on WFMU just as you started "Since K..." and had to say how much I enjoyed it. Can't wait to get home and listen to the whole set. Also, "Walking in the Park" is the most beautiful thing you guys have ever done. Brings tears to my eyes. Congrats on the great record.

Andrew said...

Listening to the WFMU show now and can't be more excited for the show tonight at Joe's Pub.

For people looking for links, the entire performance can be heard here:

http://wfmu.org/playlists/shows/33427

Laura | The Journal of Cultural Conversation said...

Awesome show - so glad I had a chance to go!

b-dub said...

Holy flaming SHIT the new album is great! I've been a fan since The Violet Hours, and you just keep getting better and better. The title track and Harvest Time are absolutely resonating in my head - the perfect grey autumnal soundtrack. Brilliant work.

Anonymous said...

you have made a new fan

http://cameraobscura.forumotion.com/your-first-forum-f1/camera-obscura-2003-fib-t121-15.htm

erm,saw you last night at leeds...excellent alisdair...good luck with the album...the good people are spreading the word at

www.shacknet.co.uk

still,anyone who is a palies fan deserves the best.......